Monday, July 26, 2010

One man's loss is another man's gain...

So last week I was pretty burnt from work. I guess it really wasn't too bad, but I had just come back from the honeymoon and wanted to stay in that state of mind. On Friday I moaned and complained to myself about how I wanted a 3 day weekend and I wished that I didn't have to come to work on Monday and that I could move to The Caribbean and do nothing, Etc. I'm sure we all have had these thoughts, especially the one about moving to the Caribbean, but yesterday my perspective changed a bit. I was at church at my new ward in Glendale and the guys took turns going around and introducing themselves and telling us a little bit about them. About half of them stood up stated their names and ended by saying "And if you know anyone who is hiring please let me know..." I was pretty overwhelmed by how many people who were out of work. There was even one guy who stood up holding a baby and said "I will take anything I can get right now..." It was quite an eye opener for me. I hate to say it, but it seems that it takes a room full of unemployed people to make me realize how lucky I am to have a job at all. I should be grateful that in today's economic climate that I am employed and able to provide for myself and wife. I will definitely think twice before I dread coming to work on a Monday...

2 comments:

  1. I have had the same thoughts myself. One day I was complaining to the kids about my job. Blah, blah, blah and they said why do you stay there? As I was telling them because of the flexibility I have, the amount of vacation/sick days and other perks I have I realized I really don't have any reason to complain. Everyone gets burned out what we have to figure it is...the feeling you had in the Caribbean or in Hawaii how can we bottle it when we get home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that you had a chance to see what's going on around you and think over. but I still wouldn't mind moving to the Caribbean though...

    ReplyDelete